Sunday 2 July 2017

REVIEW: Romeo and Juliet @ The Globe Theatre


'Don't waste your love on somebody, who doesn't value it.'

Twas the rainy night of June 3rd when I embarked to the wonderful Globe theatre ready to bare my emotions to the masterpiece that is Romeo and Juliet.

First of all, if you have never been to The Globe Theatre, I would highly recommend! Watching anything here is so atmospheric being the oringinal Shakespeare theatre, set on the gorgeous Thames Southbank. With standing tickets (in the yard) at £5 - you really can't go wrong!

After seeing The Globe advertise their latest Romeo and Juliet production, I was both excited to see their take on Shakespeare's iconic play and nervous to see if it would live up to the hype. Luckily, I managed to grab some £5 return yard tickets the day before and waited in the rain for the show to begin.

Emma Rice (artistic director) and Daniel Kramer (director) masterfully captured the raw emotion and genious of the legend that is Shakespeare while simultaneously bringing this lovers tragedy into the modern world. Their dark and twisted take on the story really emphasised the sinister undertones and prominent gang culture. Although some reviews have deemed this vision as 'perverse' and 'damaging', I thought this was an utter masterpiece - I was hooked every second and saw the story in a completely different light.

After 3 hours dripping in the rain, I left the theatre absolutely sobbing. And I never cry. Each and every actor gave their role all their energy and the final scene grabbed me by the throat and made me weep. There's something about Shakespeare actors that is so inspiring - their need to deliver so much emotion in lines that are at times difficult to grasp. A true talent.

An absolutely breathtaking take on the iconinc Romeo and Juliet presenting such raw emotion. The best piece of theatre I have seen in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment