Sunday 27 December 2015

REVIEW: The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey
GENRE: YA Sci-fiction
SERIES: The 5th Wave #1
RATING: 4 Stars


After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

MY THOUGHTS:
After four waves of 'the others', Cassie is on her own in this destroyed version of Earth, not knowing who she can trust and who wants to kill her.

As a newbie to the science fiction genre, this was a struggle to first get into. However, the early parts had more aspects than the science which I think made it that bit easier for me to flow with the story. The fifth wave is a gripping adventure which kept me hooked. Lots of things happened in the span of this book but it didn't feel like it was dragging at all. Cassie as a character was a bit annoying to me yet I much prefer the other characters as Ringer as they had a lot more individuality. I also think they show a lot ore realistic perception of how teenagers would acts in an end of the world situation.

The multiple POVs in this book gave it depth showing a variety of sides to the story but sometimes I found it a bit confusing. It never states at the start of each section who the character's POV is and towards the beginning the voices weren't as easy to distinguish so I got a bit confused.

There is a second book to the duology but I am unsure of whether I want to pick it up. The ending to the first novel is wrapped up quite neatly although there is an obvious finish to the story in the second book. However, I'm happy to leave it here - there is no urge to find out too much more of the story as I have heard the next book is disappointing and I don't want to ruin it all. I am VERY excited for the film adaptation to come out though and will be getting to that as soon as it hit theatres. 



No comments:

Post a Comment